8th July – 5th August 2018
The King's School in Rochester is a prestigious boarding school in the heart of historic Rochester with views over the castle and the cathedral. It is located 2 minutes walk from Rochester city centre and shops and has an easy access to central London.
• 20 hours of lessons each week
• English in Action project work and performances
• Focus on phonology, grammar and British culture
• Caters for individual students and groups
Lessons are held every morning and some afternoons with a total of 15 hours’ tuition per week. This includes 3 hours per week of sports, drama or dance vocabulary and terminology for each of the programmes.
09.00-10.30 Lessons 1 and 2
11.00-12.30 Lessons 3 and 4
13.45-16.30 (Excursion or activities)
Each 90-minute session is divided into two 45-minute lessons. In Lessons 1 and 2, the emphasis is on functional English and communication skills. In Lessons 3 and 4, students work on a weekly project, which is incorporated with English in Action or Performance preparation.
English in Action
Students and teachers work together to choose a weekly project topic for their class and then plan it together. Students are given help with vocabulary and strategies for how to complete their work. During one of the morning classes students go into town to complete the English in Action research component of their project, discreetly supervised by their teacher. Students can carry out a survey, use a questionnaire, interview people on the street, and then add this information to their project. They present their work to the rest of the class on the last day of the week.
English in Action is an excellent way of encouraging students to use their language skills in real-life situations and of bringing them into contact with native English speakers.
Our activity programme will make sure you have fun, see the famous sights, and spend time with new friends from all over the world. We were awarded points of excellence for our leisure programme by British Council at our last inspection so we know how to organise your summer courses.
Weekly activities include:
• 1 full-day excursion per week by coach
• Plus 2 excursions per week by train to London ('Experience London' programme)
• Football, tennis, volleyball, basketball, cricket, badminton
• Swimming (indoor pool on site)
• Arts & crafts, drama & dance
• ‘Breakfast-to-bedtime’ residential programme, 7 days a week
• Welcome party and weekly disco
• Local visits to Rochester Castle, Rochester Cathedral, and Restoration House (made famous by Charles Dickens)
Residential students have an activity every evening, and these include discos, fashion shows, film nights, competitions and games, and BBQs, all at the school. Our team of Activity Leaders organise these each evening and there is always something fun happening! The activities start at 7.30pm and usually finish at about 10.00pm.
Example Summer School Programme in Rochester
Location of The King's School in Rochester
Address: King’s School, King Edward Road, Rochester, Kent ME1 1UB