2nd July – 30th July 2017 - Summer School
31st July to 28th August 2017 - School Groups
East Kent College in Folkestone is a modern college in South East of England with excellent facilities. It is located only 10 minutes away from the town centre and has an easy access to London and Canterbury. Nearby seaside towns - Hythe, Cheriton and Sandgate - make it an ideal location for the summer.
• 20 hours of lessons each week
• English in Action project work and performances
• Focus on phonology, grammar and British culture
• Caters for individual students and groups
Lessons are held every morning and some afternoons with a total of 20 hours’ tuition per week. This includes 3 hours per week of phonology, grammer, British culture and terminology for each of the programmes.
09.00-10.30 Lessons 1 and 2
11.00-12.30 Lessons 3 and 4
13.45-16.30 (English in action or activities).
Each 90-minute session is divided into two 45-minute lessons. In Lessons 1 and 2, the emphasis is on functional English and communication skills. In Lessons 3 and 4, students work on a weekly project, which is incorporated with English in Action or Performance preparation (on alternate weeks), and excursion preparation work.
English in Action
Students and teachers work together to choose a weekly project topic for their class and then plan it together. Students are given help with vocabulary and strategies for how to complete their work. During one of the morning classes students go into town to complete the English in Action research component of their project, discreetly supervised by their teacher. Students can carry out a survey, use a questionnaire, interview people on the street, and then add this information to their project. They present their work to the rest of the class on the last day of the week.
English in Action is an excellent way of encouraging students to use their language skills in real-life situations and of bringing them into contact with native English speakers.
Our activity programme will make sure you have fun, see the famous sights, and spend time with new friends from all over the world. We were awarded points of excellence for our leisure programme by British Council at our last inspection so we know how to organise your summer courses.
Weekly activities include:
• 1 full-day excursion per week to London, Cambridge or Brighton
• 1 half-day excursion per week
• Orientation tour of Folkestone on first afternoon
• Wide range of sports at nearby sports centre
• Arts & crafts, drama & dance
• Local visits to modern shopping centre, historic harbour, the Leas and the beach
• Residential students have an activity every evening, and these include discos, fashion shows, film nights, competitions and games, and BBQs, all at the school.
Our team of Activity Leaders organise these each evening and there is always something fun happening!
Example of Summer School Programme in Folkestone
Location of East Kent College
Address: East Kent College, Shornecliffe Road, Folkestone, Kent, CT20 2TZ