11th July – 8th August 2018
Kingswood School is an amazing boarding school with fantastic facilities for learning, sports and other activities. The school opened in Bath in 1852 and is one of the best independent schools in the UK today. Bath today is a busy city with 1⁄4 million visitors each year and a large student population, all enjoying the museums, shops and cafes in the city centre.
Kingswood School Facilities
• 8 classrooms, each with whiteboard, CD, DVD and TV
• Safe campus with all accommodation and facilities on site
• Easy access to historic Bath city centre & shops
• Sports include tennis, badminton, football & Frisbee
• Arts & crafts include t-shirt design, drawing & costumes
• Drama and dance activities in the hall
• Spacious common rooms offering pool, table tennis and TV
• 15 hours of lessons each week
• English in Action project work and performances
• Focus on phonology, grammar and British culture
• Caters for individual students and groups
Lessons are held every morning and some afternoons with a total of 15 hours’ tuition per week. This includes 3 hours per week of sports, drama or dance vocabulary and terminology for each of the programmes.
These include a variety of drama and role-playing sketches and presentations, which students usually perform in front of the whole school on the last afternoon of the week.
They are a lot of fun, but there is also a high academic focus that tests students’ pronunciation, intonation and clarity of speech, and also helps to improve students’ confidence in speaking.
English in Action
Students and teachers work together to choose a weekly project topic for their class and then plan it together. Students are given help with vocabulary and strategies for how to complete their work. During one of the morning classes students go into town to complete the English in Action research component of their project, discreetly supervised by their teacher. Students can carry out a survey, use a questionnaire, interview people on the street, and then add this information to their project. They present their work to the rest of the class on the last day of the week.
English in Action is an excellent way of encouraging students to use their language skills in real-life situations and of bringing them into contact with native English speakers.
Our activity programme will make sure you have fun, see the famous sights, and spend time with new friends from all over the world. We were awarded points of excellence for our leisure programme by British Council at our last inspection so we know how to organise your summer courses.
Weekly activities include:
• 1 Full Day Excursion to London
• British Museum, Covent Garden & Walking Tour
• Swimming (indoor pool on campus)
• Football, tennis, volleyball, basketball, cricket, badminton available
• 1 Full Day Excursion to Oxford & Bicester Village
• Oxford Castle, Walking Tour & end at Bicester Village for shopping
• Dance Studio and theater to enjoy drama & dance
• Art & crafts
• 1 Full Day Excursion to Stonehenge & Salisbury
• Famous Stonehenge landmark & Salisbury Cathedral
• Local visits to Bath, Roman Baths, Bath Abbey, Holburne Museum & punting on River Avon
• Residential students have an activity every evening, and these include discos, fashion shows, film nights, competitions and games, and BBQs, all at the school.
• NEW Horse Riding Programme
• NEW Professional Tennis Programme
Example of Summer School Programme in Bath
Location of Kingswood School in Bath
Address: Kingswood School, Lansdown Rd, Bath BA1 5RG