9th July – 13th August 2019
Kent College in Canterbury is a prestigious boarding school with excellent sport and academic facilities. It is situated in a beautiful 80 acre semi-rural location and overlooks the historic city of Canterbury. It has easy access to the city centre, shops and cafes as well as to the central London and airports.
Kent College Facilities
• 20 classrooms, each with whiteboard, CD, DVD & TV
• Large hall for performances and activities
• Large sports field in the school grounds
• Modern sports hall, four lawn tennis courts and Astroturf
• Spacious common rooms offering pool, table tennis and TV
• Large dining hall with established summer school menu
• 20 hours of lessons each week
• English in Action project work and performances
• Focus on phonology, grammar and British culture
• Caters for individual students and groups
• Dedicated programme for Young Learners (aged 8-11)
Lessons are held every morning and some afternoons with a total of 20 hours’ tuition per week. This includes 3 hours per week of specialist sports, drama or dance vocabulary and terminology for each of the programmes.
09.00-10.30 Lessons 1 and 2
11.00-12.30 Lessons 3 and 4
13.45-16.30 (English in action or activities).
Each 90-minute session is divided into two 45-minute lessons. In Lessons 1 and 2, the emphasis is on functional English and communication skills. In Lessons 3 and 4, students work on a weekly project, which is incorporated with English in Action or Performance preparation (on alternate weeks), and excursion preparation work.
English in Action
Students and teachers work together to choose a weekly project topic for their class and then plan it together. Students are given help with vocabulary and strategies for how to complete their work. During one of the morning classes students go into town to complete the English in Action research component of their project, discreetly supervised by their teacher. Students can carry out a survey, use a questionnaire, interview people on the street, and then add this information to their project. They present their work to the rest of the class on the last day of the week. English in Action is an excellent way of encouraging students to use their language skills in real-life situations and of bringing them into contact with native English speakers.
Our activity programme will make sure you have fun, see the famous sights, and spend time with new friends from all over the world. We were awarded points of excellence for our leisure programme by British Council at our last inspection so we know how to organise your summer courses.
Weekly activities include:
• 1 full-day excursion per week (but 3 excursions in a 2-week stay)
• Local visits include Canterbury Cathedral and river tour
• Football, tennis, volleyball, basketball, badminton & table tennis
• Arts & crafts, drama & dance
• ‘Breakfast-to-bedtime’ residential programme, 7 days a week
• Residential students have an activity every evening, and these include discos, fashion shows, film nights, competitions and games, and BBQs, all at the school
NEW Performing Arts Programme
Our team of Activity Leaders organise these each evening and there is always something fun happening!
Example of Summer School Programme at Kent College
Location of Kent College
Address: Kent College, Whitstable Road, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 9DT