7th July - 11th August 2019
Ashford School is located in the centre of Ashford with excellent shopping facilities and local attractions. The school has excellent facilities for students of all ages and is the perfect location for our range of courses.
Ashford School Facilities
• 20 classroms, each with a whiteboard, CD player, DVD player and TV
• Large hall for performances and activities
• Extensive playing fields and Astroturf
• Tennis courts, sports hall and indoor swimming pool
• Large dining hall with established summer school menu
• Excellent IT facilities and computer room
• Comfortable common rooms for residential students
• 15 hours of lessons each week
• English in Action project work and performances
• Focus on phonology, grammar and British culture
• Caters for individual students and groups
• Young Learners' programme for 8- to 11-year-olds
Lessons are held every morning and some afternoons with a total of 15 hours’ tuition per week. This includes 3 hours per week of specialist sports, drama or dance vocabulary and terminology for each of the programmes.
09.00-10.30 Lessons 1 and 2
Each 90-minute session is divided into two 45-minute lessons. In Lessons 1 and 2, the emphasis is on functional English and communication skills. In Lessons 3 and 4, students work on a weekly project, which is incorporated with English in Action or Performance preparation (on alternate weeks), and excursion preparation work.
These include a variety of drama and role-playing sketches and presentations, which students usually perform in front of the whole school on the last afternoon of the week.
They are a lot of fun, but there is also a high academic focus that tests students’ pronunciation, intonation and clarity of speech, and also helps to improve students’ confidence in speaking.
English in Action
Students and teachers work together to choose a weekly project topic for their class and then plan it together. Students are given help with vocabulary and strategies for how to complete their work.
During one of the morning classes students go into town to complete the English in Action research component of their project, discreetly supervised by their teacher. Students can carry out a survey, use a questionnaire, interview people on the street, and then add this information to their project. They present their work to the rest of the class on the last day of the week.
English in Action is an excellent way of encouraging students to use their language skills in real-life situations and of bringing them into contact with native English speakers.
Our activity programme will make sure you have fun, see the famous sights, and spend time with new friends from all over the world. We were awarded points of excellence for our leisure programme by British Council at our last inspection.
Weekly activities include:
• 1 full day excursion per week to London, Cambridge or Brighton
• 1 half day excursion per week including Canterbury
• Football tennis, volleyball, basketball, cricket, badminton
• Swimming (indoor pool on campus)
• Arts & crafts, drama & dance
• Local visits to McArthur Glenn Shopping Village, AMF Bowling, Ashford town centre
• "Breakfast to Bedtime" residential programme, 7 days a week
• Two evening activities per week for Homestay students including transport
• NEW Professional Football programme
• NEW Horse Riding programme
• NEW Professional Tennis programme
• NEW Computer Coding programme
Residential students have an activity every evening, and these include discos, fashion shows, film nights, competitions and games, and BBQs, all at the school.
Our team of Activity Leaders organise these each evening and there is always something fun happening!
Homestay students have two evening activities per week, on Wednesday and Thursday.
The activities start at 7.30pm and usually finish at about 10.00pm.
Example of Summer School Programme in Ashford
Location of Ashford School
Address: Ashford School, East Hill, Ashford, Kent, TN24 8PB